PassionFest is going well. About 350-400 people here for this Christian based social justice festival. I spoke last night on 5 things I have learned and am learning about social justice. For those of you ask me to blog it, here they are.
1. We won’t solve the problems of our city by loving the poor but despising the rich. The poor need resources and the rich have resources. Lets bring them together.
2. We won’t solve the problem of hunger by throwing cans of food at people without empowering them to grow and cook their own food.
3. We won’t solve the problem of homelessness by sentencing people to a lifetime of unaffordable mortgage payments for a house that is too large for their needs and too expensive to heat or cool when we can offer sustainable building solutions and alternative residential communities.
4. We won’t solve the problem of unemployment by crippling people with student debt for a qualification that might not actually land them a job when we could assist them to become creative and successful entrepreneurs.
5. We won’t solve the problem of global poverty by sponsoring people to do nothing except to look poor and needy for our photos (somebody say mission porn) without freeing them to live sustainably, creatively and to put their gift into the world.
Last year was awesome also and I made a little video of PassionFest 2012