OK. Here it is. A summary of our excellent getaway. 49.5 hours away from home, while Julie and Cindy Blick watched our kids. I failed miserable in planning ahead on this one but seemed to make up for it during the trip. God was good and he was intent on giving us many great moments.
Highlights from our time in Wales:
– Evening in Swansea, on the beach. Stayed in a hotel on the beach. Ale and steak pie.
– Thrift stores in Wales – Debbie scored some vintage reading glasses (think 40′ purple horn-rimmmed) for 50p each and a stack of knitting needles
– We bought fleece wool from a farmer at a Castle. 9 fleeces of black and white wool. Debbie has a 140 year old Lithuanian spinning wheel and now she has something to spin.
– Hay-on -Wye. We bought a stack of great books for 10 pounds. Biographies of DAvid Livingstone, Gladys Aylward, a book on commerce by Selfridge (department store in london), etc.
– Met a book binder in Heresford (England) and discussed the home binding of my book. This guy is doing some ancient Celtic book binding. One book he showed me is a work in progress for a Cathredral – the goat vellum alone costs 2000 pounds. I dont think i will be spending that much on my book!
– Great pub called The Kites Nest in Hereford – 2 steak dinners for 10 pounds and he let us pitch our tent in the back of the pub for free.
Most excellent break. General advice for those going to Wales = avoid the cities, enjoy the country.