Marc is writing up a good summary of what we all did in Norway last week, but he may not be telling you Manfred’s story.
Manfred, (left in picture) is from Sweden and we have met a few times. We shared a room the first night. Manfred has a rare and fascinating hair disease which he gave me permission to tell you about.
The guy has a natural mohawk – ie, it only grows on a strip on the top of his head. This is a HOLY mohawk, designed by the hand of God. It is also growing narrower and sharper, as time goes on, and as the patch changes and gets more definition – truly a mohawk on a journey.
Of course there is much more to Manfred than his cool hair. He mentors young people, helps church starting in Sweden, and until recently was heading up the Willow Creek Association in his country. And impressing young people with his head.
A few thoughts on Mohawks:
1. The mohawk is not longer offensive or radical. Just another cool haircut.
2. Mohawks take a lot of work to maintain and use a lot of gel.
3. Lessening the maintanence of mohawks requires one to sleep with their head facing down on the pillow. (i remember waking up in San Francisco many times to see mohawks sticking up like a small forest of trees)
4. The mohawk is now in its fourth decade and is much older than some of you.
5. The mohawk was chosen back in the 1980’s as the official image for short term mission organizations who were trying to show their connectedness with emerging culture.
6. The most mohawks we gave at one single Bible Study: 3
7. The mullet is the new mohawk, and may be the only haircut in existence that ignites the same response that the mohawk once did. Can you imagine Bill Hybels with a MULLET?
Uh, your “Mohawk” picture is saved in your “Protected” folder, which is requiring me to enter a username and password, of which I have neither, therefore its not loading…. just thought you might want to know.
Imagine Bill Hybels with a mohawk? I’m pretty sure he had one at one time, didn’t he? I’ll have to try and find a picture and send it to you …
I’m having the password problem too. Help?
Hey Andrew. Nice post on mohawks. I’ve riffed off your theme a bit on bloggedy blog — and linked back, of course. Peace! – Andrew C.